Engineer - Electrical, Camera Electronics - Job ID 10082
The Space Dynamics Laboratory (SDL) has been developing innovative technologies and solutions for cutting-edge DoD and intelligence programs for almost six decades. Our expertise is in space and airborne IR, VIS, UV, and RF sensors, small satellite technologies, test and calibration, cybersecurity, data visualization and assurance, and ground stations.
We are seeking a specialized electrical engineer to perform detailed designs of space-flight camera electronic systems and subsystems. Responsibilities will include using state-of-the-art FPGA and Altium CAD tools to design and model space-borne electronics hardware systems at the component, board, and system levels. The nature of the work is rewarding and employees feel a sense of accomplishment from working on projects from concept through design, implementation, test, and delivery.
The successful candidate will be able to jump into new projects, determine/document requirements, and work individually, on small and large teams to turn ideas into working hardware. SDL’s environment is vertically integrated and we build in-house what we design. This job will require working closely with the layout team, board assembly technicians, and engineering teams from other engineering disciplines. This job emphasizes the design and delivery of real hardware that will most often require high-reliability and operation in harsh environments.
Senior electrical engineers often act as a lead over other electrical engineers on a program and are part of the overall system engineering team. They must have the ability to understand the customer’s vision and work with the team to translate it into a technical solution, work with program management to ensure technical requirements and performance are achieved, support interactions with customers and vendors, and provide technical support to related proposal efforts.
· A BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or equivalent
· 10+ years of applicable experience in the field of electronics design with experience in camera electronics for CCD, CMOS, or other optical/IR detectors
· Ability to work in a laboratory environment
· Clear written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to lead small teams of engineers
· Must have or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance
· Must be a US citizen
· Must be able to support occasional travel
· An MS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or equivalent
· CCD, CMOS, or IR/optical design
· Board level schematic design
· DC-DC and Linear Power Supply Design
· Serial Communication Interfaces (e.g., LVDS, RS422)
· Radiation tolerant hardware design
· Testing and debugging electronic systems
· FPGA digital design and implementation
· Experience leading small teams of engineers
· Experience writing technical documentation for customer delivery (e.g., Interface Documentation)
· Experience working with the US Government (e.g., NASA, DoD)
SDL Benefits: SDL offers competitive salaries and benefits. As a University Affiliated Research Center (UARC), SDL also offers unique benefits, such a flexible work schedule and discounted USU tuition of 50% for employees and dependents.
*Affirmative Action - Equal Opportunity Employer