Engineer - EO IR Systems - Job ID 9951
The Space Dynamics Laboratory (SDL) is seeking a mid-career highly skilled EO/IR systems engineer to perform detailed design and analysis of electro-optical and infrared (EO/IR) systems and subsystems for space applications.
Responsibilities will include:
- Evaluating designs against mission requirements
- Working with cross-disciplinary teams on projects that will result in flight hardware
- Understanding the US Government design review process (SRR, PDR, CDR, etc.)
- Reducing mission concepts to fundamental elements that can be expressed as requirements
- Understanding radiometry, calibration, and estimating EO/IR sensor system performance
- Communicating effectively through written reports and presentations
The nature of the work is rewarding and at times fast paced. Employees feel a sense of accomplishment from working on projects from concept through design, implementation, test, and delivery.
The successful candidate will immediately begin working on new projects to turn ideas into working flight hardware.
- BS in electrical or mechanical engineering, physics, applied physics, or optical engineering
- 5-10 years of experience in EO/IR Systems
- Demonstrated proficiency with MATLAB and MS Office (Word, PPT, Excel, etc.)
- Experience developing link budgets and error analysis for remote sensing systems
- Experience with radiometry, basic calibration, and geometrical optics
- Strong analytical background and the ability to work well with scientists, engineers, and managers
- Occasional travel may be required to support programs
- Current TS/SCI security clearance
- MS or PhD in electrical or mechanical engineering, physics, applied physics, or optical engineering
Experience with the following:
- Space systems
- Leading small technical teams
- Writing technical reports and presentations
- Working closely with government customers
About SDL: SDL, a nonprofit unit of the Utah State University Research Foundation, has been solving the technical challenges faced by the military, science community, and industry since 1959. SDL offers flexible work schedules and competitive salaries and benefits. As a University Affiliated Research Center (UARC), SDL also offers unique benefits, such as company contribution of 14.2% of annual gross earnings for retirement for exempt staff and discounted USU tuition of 50% for employees and dependents.
*Affirmative Action - Equal Opportunity Employer