Program Manager, Small Satellite Portfolio - Job ID 9974
The Space Dynamics Laboratory (SDL) is seeking a full-time program manager for developing small satellites and space systems. This work focuses on research, development, integration, test, and operation of small satellites, including cubesats, mini-satellites, microsatellites, and nanosatellites. This effort includes development and integration of components, technologies, and processes related to small satellite development, test, and operations. This effort also includes strategic planning, research, design, development, operation, testing, and systems engineering of new and innovative space systems.
The Program Manager oversees satellite missions throughout their life cycle from concept through development, initialization, operations, and disposal. He/she functions in program management and systems engineering roles. Must be able to work well with others; manage programmatic elements, including cost, schedule, and technical performance; work closely with highly technical personnel; understand customer needs; and identify appropriate resources to fill mission needs.
This position is located in Albuquerque New Mexico, supporting the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) Small Satellite Portfolio (SSP) program at Kirtland Air Force Base. Occasional short-term travel is required; generally, travel is infrequent, is within the US, and is for short durations (less than 1 week.)
· Organize, direct, and manage mission activities
· Work with customer to understand program requirements and to report issues and status
· Advise and inform mission partners and stakeholders about mission status and progress
· Coordinate with vendors, developers, facility managers, and company resources
· Apply sound systems engineering principles to enhance mission success
· Maximize value of new technologies and apply technology advancements to industry needs
· Participate in long-term strategic planning to anticipate and respond to emerging needs
· Bachelor’s degree in a technical field, i.e., Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc.
· Familiarity with Air Force/DoD acquisition processes and Air Force space systems
· Five or more years' experience in a program management role on a space-related program
· Eight years’ experience in the space industry (satellites, space sensors, rockets, or ground systems)
· Demonstrated supervisory experience and proficiency in task management
· Previous experience as a systems engineer on complex programs
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· U.S. citizenship
· Ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance
About SDL: as nonprofit unit of the Utah State University Research Foundation, SDL has been solving the technical challenges faced by the military, science community, and industry since 1959. SDL offers flexible work schedules and competitive salaries and benefits. As a University Affiliated Research Center (UARC), SDL also offers unique benefits, such as company contribution of 14.2% of annual gross earnings for retirement for exempt staff and discounted USU tuition of 50% for employees and dependents.
*Affirmative Action - Equal Opportunity Employer