Scientist - Lidar Systems - Job ID 9991
The C4ISR division is seeking a scientist to operate and maintain atmospheric lidar and other remote sensing systems for the US Army Dugway Proving Ground. The job role is to work alongside the government team to support laboratory and field experiments using lidar systems to measure airborne chemicals and particulates. The lidar systems use wavelengths that range from the UV (266 nm) to long-wave infrared (10 um).
Job duties will be to design, maintain, service, and operate several specialized lidar systems including laser service/erepairs, electronics service/repairs, and data analysis. Regular and frequent field work is required and may take place in rugged work environments with both day-time and night-time operations. Occasional extended travel is required.
The work location for this job is Dugway Proving Ground (~90 miles west of Salt Lake City).
• M.S. in electrical engineering, electro-optical engineering, or physics with 1-5 years of experience
• Experience with laser or lidar systems
• Good scientific analysis and problem solving abilities
• Capable of working closely in a team, as well as independently with minimal supervision
• Good written and verbal communication skills, including scientific presentations and papers
• Must be a U.S. Citizen and able to obtain a US security clearance
• Ph.D. in electrical engineering, electro-optical engineering, or physics with 0+ years of experience
• Experience with MATLAB, IDL, or ENVI
• Experience with elastic backscatter atmospheric lidar systems, hyperspectral systems, electronics, or tomography
About SDL: as nonprofit unit of the Utah State University Research Foundation, SDL has been solving the technical challenges faced by the military, science community, and industry since 1959. SDL offers flexible work schedules and competitive salaries and benefits. As a University Affiliated Research Center (UARC), SDL also offers unique benefits, such as company contribution of 14.2% of annual gross earnings for retirement for exempt staff and discounted USU tuition of 50% for employees and dependents.
*Affirmative Action - Equal Opportunity Employer